You can grow coriander for leaves or seeds.
Growing coriander for green leaves
Coriander green leaves take 1 to 1 and a half months to mature.
- When growing for green leaves, make several cuts during the growing season.
- The first harvest should be done when the plants are about half foot high (10-15 cm).
- This will encourage growth of more tillers/ lateral buds. You need to do 4-5 cuts during the growing season for green herb. This will give you an average yield of 2.8-4 tonnes per acre.
- You can chop the green leaves and cook with meals.
Growing coriander for seeds
Seeds takes 3-4 months to mature.
- When the flowers have dried, gently cut down the stems and dry in a clean tarpaulin for 2-3 days.
- Finally thresh and winnow to get the clean coriander seeds.
- If well managed, you can harvest 480 – 680 kg of seeds per acre.
- Always harvest early in the morning or late in the evening to reduce losses due to shattering.
- This is then processed to get mixed spices and curry powder.